Thursday, December 27, 2012

Kwanzaa in the 21st Century: Kujichagulia


The second day of Kwanzaa observes Kujichagulia (Koo-je-cha-gulia), which means Self-Determination.  Kujichagulia means to define ourselves, name ourselves, create for ourselves and speak for ourselves instead of being defined, named, created, and spoken for by others. (Source: The Official Kwanzaa Website) This has been a common theme among people of color in America.  In the past, African Americans have been defined as a fraction of a White man, savages, coons, criminals, thugs, slackers and the like.  For far too long, we've had to endure the labels and stereotypes that have tarnished our image to other ethnic groups in this country.  The truth of the matter?  African Americans are increasingly defined as educators, healers, business owners, artists, intellectuals, activists, and leaders.  By and large, we have finally begun to define ourselves as Americans.

Who or what defines you?  On more than one occasion, I've allowed myself to be defined by what I did for a living or who I hung out with.  It wasn't until recently, that I was able to establish my own identity outside being a wife, mother and a servant to my community.  After a long, difficult journey, I can now say that I'm a woman who loves writing, reading, and creating.  I'm a die-hard native Detroiter and Michiganian who makes no apologies for it.  I'm a Christian who believes in the right for all to worship without judgement.  I'm a lifelong baseball fan.  I'm a praise dancer.  I'm still discovering what it means to be me.

I define myself as Sasha.  That's good enough.

Your task for today:  Take a moment to remember what makes you unique and nurture it.  Define yourself.

1 comment: