Wednesday, April 4, 2012

My Friend...The Season

Like it or not...sports is our escape.

It's been a tough month for the fighters of social injustice.  Between the ongoing Trayvon Martin situation (Unfortunately, I still can't call it a "case".), to our local school district putting 12 year old girls in the same building with 18 year old boys and call it "restructuring", the socially conscience and politically active have been pretty close to, if not, exhausted.  I've seen protests at the State Capitol, watched the marches take place all over the country, and I think we've all been "Romney-ed" and "Santorum-ed" to death.  Dare I say it, I'm even sick of looking at the White House Press Secretary.  I, for one, have been tweeting, posting, commenting and now blogging and still  find myself pretty stressed out because I think I'm not doing enough.

The good news is...the day I've been waiting for is finally here.  It's circled on my wall calendar, I've saved it on my phone and I've paid homage to it on my Facebook page.

Major League Baseball has returned when I needed it the most.

I don't pretend that most of my friends out there are as enthusiastic about baseball as I am.  Plenty of my friends and family are following the NBA and getting ready for the playoffs.  My husband is continuing to follow our hometown Red Wings.  The Masters is making its grand return.  And we're keeping up with the NFL off season.  Many of us are in the throws of an NCAA hoop hangover and I, for one, am still waiting for the Mayweather/Pacquiao match up that will NEVER HAPPEN!!

Sports takes us out of the drama that is our lives.  Its the only venue where Blacks and Whites, liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, union members and their employers, and the "lefts" and "rights" can agree on their hometeam, on who is the champion favorite, the best shot, the fastest pitcher and the most entertaining pregame show.  Sports was the only thing, in my opinion, that reunited a country after the September 11th attacks.  Sports kept us calm after an intense presidential election in 2008.  Baseball is keeping my nerves in check as I prayed for the shooting victims in California and on the eastside of Lansing this past weekend.  My Detroit Tigers kept me from crying hours after I learned that my son will be born with Down Syndrome.

Sports has it's place.  It knows its place.  It never pretends to be the most important thing on Earth even though it is for many of us.  Sports is there for us when we lose our jobs, when church folks are tripping out and when the mourners go home after we bid farewell to a loved one.  The Tigers are there when we fight with our friends.  The Steelers are there when you worry about your family.  The Bulls are there when a natural disaster strikes.

Sports is here for us when we need it....always.   Embrace it. Appreciate it.

Enjoy your season.


No comments:

Post a Comment